There are many benefits to teaching your puppy to be well behaved at an early age. Young puppies are quite able to learn obedience skills, toileting behaviour and social boundaries. All of these things help make your relationship with your dog more rewarding for the years to come.
We provide an effective Puppy Pre-school program for all of the puppies that visit our clinic. With our progressive and positive learning techniques you will:
- Develop an understanding of normal puppy behaviour.
- Learn how to read your puppy's body language and respond appropriately.
- Develop effective techniques for positive behavioural development.
- Learn important tips about walking in public areas.
- Understand the need for socialising your puppy.
- Teach your puppy some important 'do not' lessons
- Understand important boundaries when playing together.
- Develop strong bonds between you and your puppy
The most important thing about Puppy Pre-school is 'start early'. Waiting too long can allow behaviour problems to establish which then require more intensive training to overcome.
Each week you and your puppy will learn new things to help your relationship flourish for years to come. Some of what you will go through is listed below:
- How to Sit, Stay, Come, Drop and Roll Over
- How to 'Heel' and walk on a lead beside you
- Toilet Training
- Naughty behavours such as; Jumping, Biting, Chewing etc.
- How to keep your dog mentally stimulated while you are not home
- Crate Training
- Vaccinations, Parasites, Nutrition and Dangerous Foods
- Paralysis Tick prevention and danger signs of toxicity
- And much more...
Puppy Pre-school at the Southside Veterinary Surgery is a 4 week course, run on Tuesday or Wednesday nights. All puppies are required to have there 12 week vaccination and be aged between 12-16 weeks on the first night of classes so that they are all a similar size and at the same stage of learning as each other.
We require each puppy to have their 12 week vaccination prior to the first night as Parvovirus very prevalent in the Cairns area and we use the utmost precaution with our clients to prevent the spread of disease.
So start today and call us about enrolling your puppy in our local Puppy Pre-school classes.
We run 1-2 courses per month (depending on class size).